Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Hello Everyone! Last week's poll question was Which of the following animals are the closest relative of a Hyena. Now let's talk about the Hyena first, The Hyena lives in the Sahara Desert in Africa which is filled by extreme desert conditions. The typical diet for the Hyena are zebras, wilder beast, buffalo and topi. Although many people view the hyena as a scavenger it is mostly a hunter. They can hunt alone or in a group called a clan if they are hunting large prey. The Hyena's closest relative is the MONGOOSE. There are three types of hyena species, the spotted, brown and striped hyenas. They also live in groups called clans. These clans are dominated by the larger females and the clans can grow to have up to 70 members.
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Last week's poll was "Which of the following nutrients is the LEAST important? The correct answer is............... FATS! Although fats are part of the 4 major nutrients it can cause numerous problems if a person's body fat is beyond the normal limit but at the same time it also has a lot of uses in our body.
Functions of FATS:
1. Insulating material for the body. (Keep warm)
2. Mixes with vitamins so the body can absorb it.
3. Acts as a cushioning material for the body.
4. Contains a large amount of energy.
ALL Grade 8 preIB students
preIB-1 Dec. 8, 2009
preIB-2 Dec. 11, 2009
preIB-3 Dec. 10, 2009
Note: Don't forget to write your name and class in your email. Submit your assignment at BiologyCH_09@yahoo.com.
1. Define respiration. Explain its stages.
2. How does respiration in humans differ from a fish?
3. Why do the rate of breathing increase if a person is in an overcrowded area?
4. What are the effects of smoking?